The Purpose of UTF-8 CutenewsUTF-8 CuteNews is a project based on the popular CMS CuteNews 1.4.6.
It is a script that is very easy to install and use.
I had started UTF-8 CuteNews to fix bugs and add some more security options to make CuteNews not only safer, but also more user-friendly and accessible as official development of CuteNews had been put on hold.
This is not the case anymore. CuteNews is being developed again officially and the new 1.5 branch is absolutely fantastic! Security problems are fixed, special characters are dealt with appropriately and the design has been revamped, not to mention that new features were introduced in 1.5, including a built-in plugin system.
The purpose of UTF-8 CuteNews was to offer an "emergency solution" to CuteNews 1.4.6, which was making many users frustrated. It has served its purpose well but the future is in CuteNews 1.5 now. I highly recommend to everyone to try out the new version of the official CuteNews.
The main differences of UTF-8 CuteNews, compared to CuteNews 1.4.6, are the following:
- Languages UTF-8 CuteNews will display every character correctly. No question marks instead of symbols! Users can also search with characters outside of A-Z, something CuteNews 1.4.6 does not allow. A new language module allows users to translate the output to their native language.
- Captcha Spam bots surf the web to find comment forms in which they can post links to undesired websites. Automatic submissions can be prevented with the built-in captcha (anti-spam) feature of UTF-8 CuteNews — saving you the strenuous work of deleting such comments.
- Security Security is important. UTF-8 CuteNews has additional security features, such as a function which allows you to ban IP addresses automatically when they send excessive login requests, so that you can stay safe.
- Bug fixes Error messages are pesky. Numerous bugs have been fixed in UTF-8 CuteNews to make your CuteNews experience more enjoyable and to make it a more stable and reliable script. Additional fixes are contained so that UTF-8 CuteNews is compatible with the latest technology.
- Upgrading Upgrading to UTF-8 CuteNews is a very easy procedure, allowing you to keep all of your news, comments, users, templates and settings. On the outside, it looks exactly like the familiar, user-friendly CuteNews 1.4.6, except that it's robuster and more advanced.